CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Welcome...

This blog is about life in general and everything in between. Most of the articles posted here are from people who generously shared their lives to others. This is my tribute to them.

Journey with me today. Let's talk about life and how to live it fully everyday.

It is my prayer that as we learn from each other, we will be able to bring out the best of who we are, as God intended us to be - His children living a life of excellence and fullness.

ALL for HIS glory and honor!

God bless my friends,
Yheleen

Is Life Fair? (originally written on Feb. 5, 2008)


(written as notes on my cell phone as I wait for the bus to Butuan)

I sometimes think of life as unfair. Why there are many who spent their money on things they won't use later or worse won't even remember buying them.

But now, while waiting for the bus to Butuan, I see many others trying very hard just to sell one piece of candy or convincing the passengers to buy a cheap pair of sunglasses even at night. Ah, my heart aches for these people and this is one of those times when I just can't help but be sad.

The irony of life - the extremes of it.

One man particularly caught my eye - who prompted me to write this. He was middle-aged, in his 40s. He looked the typical padre de familia trying to earn income for his family. But what struck me was that he was limping while selling candies. You know, the usuals - Maxx, White Rabbit, etc. which he sells at P1 each. He was in pain but he seems not to mind it or is ignoring it. He has to sell the candies from the looks of it. And his eyes look tired from the looks of it.

My heart goes to this man. I wasn't planning on buying any candy. I avoided being thirsty and having to drink water after. It's a long ride - about 7 hours with less stops. Not a good thing to be always looking for a restroom.

But then anyway, it seems the only thing I can do for the man is to buy some candies from him so I did just that - not really much though, just 6 pesos and then I added a silent prayer for his family. He smiled his thanks.

I cannot do much, however, with the other man selling sunglasses. I feel so helpless about the situation.

I observed them closely. Everytime a new passenger passes by, their eyes lit with hope and on the other hand, everytime a passenger says 'no' to them or snubs them or simply ignore them as if they don't exist, the same eyes would be filled with despair and a sense of failure. And the cycle goes on: from hope to despair and occasionally to simple joys and triumphs of having convinced somebody to buy.

It is heartbreaking to be confronted with these realities especially knowing that there are more others who suffer worse fates.

My only comfort whil looking into these people is that at least, they still have a source of income and that they have something to do.

What I am most happy about is that, simple as they are - they find joy in little things and they think good of others - ready to assist those who need assistance - whether rich or poor and they are trusting of people.

Once a woman wants to buy 2-peso worth of candies but she doesn't have any coins. The limping man told her she could already get some candies and that he will leave his candies with her while he finds some change for the bill. Ah, never doubtful of his fellowmen - very trusting.

I feel blessed having witnessed the lives of these men, even for a short time for it reminded me how blessed I am with what I have and that I have a bigger responsibility to spread God's love.
(Note: picture above is taken from the web, I just don't know the author - thank you anyway, this has inspired me to make a difference in the world)

0 comments: